Thursday 2 February 2017

Topping up the Exercise

A modest evening walk, because calories are calories, and walking is better than watching TV!
Also builds the legs up, if you are not used to running yet.
Even though the heart rate is under my Zone 1 throughout.

So, you've done the main exercise activity for the day.
30 minutes, say, of intense sweating.
You really couldn't do that again today.

Time for a nice sit down in front of the TV for the evening, then?

There is another choice.
What about if you just did a modest walk or something later in day.
The movement will help to clear any remaining lactate from your leg muscles.
The movement will make your heart speed up a touch, and you will burn more calories than sitting about for the rest of the day.

That is essentially what I did this evening.
Here it is on Strava.

Nothing too fancy. Just walked with Anna to the shops, and joy, oh, joy, I found a pair of cycle tights/trousers that are a very good match for the ones I lost (they cut them off in the ambulance), and, even better, at "end of sale" double-discount price, just like the originals were. I'll review the shortly, probably on my other blog.

Wearing my now-defunct cycle trousers.
I was wearing a diterent jersey, so this white is still OK.
Helmet was a goner (as are the handlebars) as well, though.
So my 2017 helmet is white, so it kind of matches my jersey now - all things for the best!

Anyway, back to the plot.
Strava says that I got through another 298 calories on that walk. (I weight about 86kg / 190 lbs, so the more one weighs, the more one uses!)
That's more than half a Big Mac saved towards my diet!
For someone fit, the exercise might count as "junk miles" rather than focussed training.

But the calories burned are just like any other calories!
And doing a bit of light exercise as well a heavier exercise session will build your endurance, too!


Junk miles but real calories ;-)

Better than sitting on the Sofa, methinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment