Sunday 30 October 2016

Tacx BlueMatic Trainers Price Cut !!!

Typical.
I spend my coin on a turbo trainer, then a six weeks later there is a price cut (!)
Both the BlueMatic and the BlueMatic Smart have been reduced in price in the UK.

This has to be the best trainer for under 100 quid!
(Mine was the best trainer for 130 quid, which is what I paid!)



Remember that the "Smart" isn't really that "smart" - it just means there is a Tacx T2015 speed/cadence dual-band (BlueTooth and Ant+) sensor bundled in the pack, and slightly different box graphics. The "turbo trainer" part is the same.
So it doesn't automatically change the resistance.

Anyway, the "Smart"-branded pack is only available in the UK at Halfords (which is where I got mine 6 weeks ago). And it is now just £86.89
(that's about two-thirds of what I paid).

Halfords have the "standard" BlueMatic, too.
But at about the same price.
So if you really don't want the T2015 sensor, just by the "Smart" and sell the sensor on e-Bay.
Or give it to your friend.

Now a chance to re-use some of the pics I took for my trainer review :-)

BlueMatic trainer shown with a 622x37 Matahon Plus tyre.
I expect that a 622/700c/29-er tyre of up to about 40mm width would fit,
and I expect a 559/26" tyre of up to about 65mm (call it 2 1/2 inches) would fit.
Anything else up to a total diameter of about 700mm should fit, too
(e.g. a 584/27.5" tyre of 50-ish mm width, aka about 2 inches).
Make sure you use a fairly smooth tyre!
(no knobbly MTB rubber!)
and try and choose an "endurance tyre", as some of the rubber will wear off during use.
A heavy-duty touring tyre seems fine (shown!),
but if I only had 100-buck "race" tyres, I'd get a "trainer" tyre.
You get (included) a Tacx T1402 (shown top), which has a long screw thread so it will fir both 130mm and 135mm wheels.
The Tacx 1402 has nice fat, round, ends that fit easily into the clamps that lock your bike into place.
Also shown is my (much lighter) Halo 135mm locking skewer - the ends won't fit tightly into the trainer.
Other accessories are available at extra cost, including wheel nuts in stead of a skewer (T1415 and T1416),
and various adapters for 10 and 12 mm axles.
What makes a BlueMatic trainer "smart"?
This is what is bundled in the "Smart" kit - a Tacx 2015 sensor.
It allows you to have "virtual power" on the tablet app.
(Virtual power, is of course, a software based estimate, as is unlikely to be anywhere near as accurate as a direct-force power meter, like power meter pedals, or a PowerTap wheel. But what do you expect for 100 quid! Make that 250 quid, and you might get better, But not for 100 quid!)
You get a manual "handlebar" adjuster to select the 10 resistance levels.
Mine doesn't like level 1, and drops into level 2 by itself.
I probably need to tighten the screw!
There are a few adapeter included with the lever mount, but none seem small enough for my 22.2mm bars.
It looks like the sizes go from about the size of a drop handlebar (I have "tour" bars) up to what I guess is the big 31mm size.
AS a tempoary fix, I just put mine on the end of my (rather long) handlebar grip!
THe BlueMatic trainer has a decent "fast release" system.
It is a bit of fiddling the first time tou set it up.
But after that it is a breeze to take the bike in and out of the trainer.
The grey legs fold. the "resistance" unit bolt on.
the trainer is pretty stable in use.
I can mount and dismount like a horse, by standing on one pedal and swinging my leg over to the other side.
As I am a fairly big guy (6'3", 190cm, 85kg, 187 lbs, 13st 5lbs), that seems like stable to me!
I can certainly pedal with my hands off the bars with no issues, with just a very slight rocking of the trainer.
Note also that there is no electrical plug, because it doesn't use one.
The T2015 sensor runs from a common CR2032 battery.
This means the BlueMatic trainer can be used for warming up before an event, even if you are just in a carpark.
(fold the grey legs in, and it will fit in your car better)
Power curves for the BlueMatic trainer.
It handles 700W.
Not enough if you are Chris Froome.
But I'm not.
Basically, if you don't know your FTP power, then this trainer is enough for you.
You're going to need pretty big thighs to run out of options!
To give you an idea of power, I am an "endurance" rider, having completed a 232km ride in 2015, and this trainer can handle far more power than I can provide.
So, unless you are a racer, then the BlueMatic will be adequate.
(The Blue Motion and the Booster cater for higher power riders)


1 comment:

  1. Great resources blog for bluematic bike trainer. Helpful bike accessories for all. I need a bike trainer. But i am little bit confused which bike trainer is comfortable for me?

    ReplyDelete